Monday, July 5, 2010

4th of July (from Jean)

the message (below) was received from one of my longest-time best friends, jean,
who describes her fourth of july party.
i'm recording her e-mail (here and Now), so i can re-read it when i'm 77.

note: the e-mail has not been Spiritually Scripted (click here),
so conventional capitalization, punctuation, spelling, etc. will be displayed throughout.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Len,

It was 5:44 am on Sunday, July 4, 2010.  I hear feet crossing the wooden floor of the living room..."Jude, is that you?"...."yeah"....."what time is it?"....."5:44".

I get up off the couch, which is where I ended up sleeping.  I go into the kitchen and see the remnants of another get together with my amazing friends.  Empty bottles of beer, wine and vodka stand at attention around the kitchen.  It's obvious that another good time was had by all.

Judy is scurrying around gathering up the family's belongings so they can head off on vacation.  Willy is up and moving too - but not quite as quickly as Judy - but then - nobody does.  Abby and Kelly are asleep in my bed - the no cat zone - great place for a kid with alergies.  They do the ceremonial whine as Judy gives them their first wake-up call...."I'm tired"...."Why is it SO cold in here?"

I walk outside, it's a nice tempurature for a July morning, we've had a lot of rain so everything is that beautiful green.  The birds are chirping and the scent of some kind of flower lingers in the air.  In the yard lay debris from the fireworks set off the night before.  It was a small group; Connie, Larry, Judy and the fam, and Bob (Connie & Larry's long time friend who lives here in Dade City).  Start time - around 5 - actual arrival time of guests - anytime between 5 & 6.

I put the lasagna in the oven - the girls inside and the guys outside.  Larry and Willy are working on the hitch for the pop-up camper.  Of course, they have to run to Wal-Mart to get a new ball, as you can imagine - that conversation takes on a life of its own.

Time to eat....lasagna, salad, bread - everything was perfect.  Kelly brought dessert - brownies and rice crispie treats.  I'm sure they were good, they looked good, but I do not have first hand knowledge about that.  The party wrapped up around 11 - we had so much fun.

I think back now at how blessed I am to have such great friends and how this all started with our meeting.  If I had never met you, the chances of me ever moving to Florida are probably pretty slim.  From our meeting came the connection of Judy and Willy and two amazing red haired girls.  Wow, think about that.

I'll leave you with that and the knowledge that by touching one life, your ripple effect has brought happiness to so many.  I hope you have an amazing day.

I love you,
Jean :)

P.S. Here's a message I received the other day on facebook:  Jessica Martineau to Jean Montgomery: "Almost time for our fave fireworks !!   i cant believe it has been a year !!"

4 comments:

  1. Good Morning Len,

    Rereading this now puts a smile on my face. I woke up to rain again today, this is about day 5 - yuk! But everything is definetly green. Even with the rain, fireworks filled the sky - sooo beautiful.

    Hope you have a great day!

    Love ya,
    Jean

    ReplyDelete
  2. dearest jean,

    your e-mail will put a GIANT smile on my face, again and again and again.

    thank you for being exactly who you are, jean!

    Love,
    lenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got back from our extraganza trip to St. Augustine, camping, staying at a number of hotels with the camper in the parking lot, waterslides and many tales to tell, but I'm wiping away little drops of water from around my eyes (must be residue saltwater from the waterslide or lazy river ride), as I read Jean's e-mail. It is without doubt amazing the power of a pebble dropped in just the right spot and the ripples that are produced from such an act. Simply Amazing! I am blessed to know you all, and to enjoy the play before all our eyes. (Dang, I probably shouldn't of had the 3 beers before I read this post, but my back was hurting, and that's the story I'm sticking to)! Aloha Willy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhhhhh, my brother willy!

    please allow me to state that the blessings are OURS, being able to spend tiny moments in the presence of the willy-july-kelly-abby clan.

    you guys are a family that re-minds me of my own, back in the tiny state of rhode island.

    clare, donna, steve, etc. -- you know what i'm talking about.

    of course (as we know) our brother jim is also worthy of emulation, here... and we can all learn a bit from each other on this journey of fun and Love.

    YOU, my friend, are the bright-eyed, smiling, example for all of us to follow, and we are INCREDIBLY LUCKY to have you in our lives.

    here's to willy -- my brother, and to all of those lives who you have touched.

    Love,
    lenny

    ReplyDelete