bobby will be remembered as the second-winningest coach in college football history, but the folks in tallahassee, florida will remember him for many other reasons, including:
* his good-natured, down-home approach to life,
* his ability to handle defeat (as well as championships),
* his humor, especially during interviews,
* his weekly t.v. show (taped live), where he'd sign autographs during intermission,
* his Spiritual beliefs,
* his humility,
* the term "dadgum it!"
...and sooooooooooo much more.
bobby, thank you for providing us with thousands of reasons to stand up and cheer:
"florida state! .florida state! .florida state! .woooooooo!"
thank you for showing us that "there's more to winning and losing than just victory and defeat." (1)
thank you for signing your name to tens-of-thousands of pictures, t-shirts and seminole paraphernalia, allowing us to share a little piece of you with the rest of the world.
good luck, in coaching your last game (2009 bowl game not yet announced).
i (for one) miss you already.
below: a glimpse into what it's like, on seminole saturday nights (2 min). ..the "warchant" begins after about 47 seconds.
* (1) quote from coach al morro of classical high school, circa de 1976.
* photo (top of post) taken during the bobby bowden talk show, 1997.
* drawing of heisman trophy quarterback and national champion chris weinke by steve albert martineau, 2000. ..steve (my brother) presented this drawing to me as a gift, during the martineau family gift exchange 2000, and it has been proudly displayed in my home ever since. ..(signed by bobby in 2001)
* drawing "sweet perfection" by joe belt, #141 of 999, honoring florida state's "wire to wire" season (1999) when f.s.u. became the first team in the history of college football to be ranked #1 from the first poll through the last, each week of an entire season. ..that year, bobby bowden won his second national championship -- and he won his 300th game as head coach.
the piece is a collector's item, quadruple-matted and shadow-boxed with the silver and gold national championship coin (#2176). ..highlighted against the backdrop of doak-campbell stadium are:
- peter warrick,
- chief osceola (atop renegade),
- the line of scimmage (vs. virginia tech), and
- the famous seminole logo (located on midfield -- of bobby bowden field).
also, hidden in belt's drawing are (1) the score of the national championship game, (2) the national championship trophy, and (3) the number "300." ..click on the picture to enlarge, and see if you can find all three.
someday, allow me to tell you the tale of how i came to acquire this piece of art/his-story.
* of bobby's many, many, many, many famous quotes, my favorite comes from one of the years when fsu won the florida "state championship" by defeating both miami and the university of florida, only to see miami go on to win the national championship. ..bowden said:
"it goes to show you the caliber of football in the state of florida,
when the best team in the country isn't even the best team in the state."