Wednesday, June 24, 2009
alternative title: carrot top
note: for the meaning of "IP," please click on IP-1 here, or IP-2, or IP-3.
for those of us who'd like to enjoy vibrant health, but haven't yet gotten fully into "juicing," wIe can keep it simple with smoothies.
* 2 bananas
* 6 carrots (tops cut off)
* 1/4 cup-ish orange juice (to liquefy)
* (optional) handful of nuts (i went with salted peanuts, since that what was within reach)
* (optional) topped off with a tiny portion of chopped beets. ..the beets are "chopped" because i don't know how to create that "shaved" look
1. put ingredients in blender (don't put beets in the blender, unless you want a red drink**)
2. press "play"
3. put topping on top (low-fat whipped topping works, in a pinch)
* makes several delicious servings, needs no sweeteners (no ice cream, no yogurt). ..very, very filling.
* smoothies allow us to consume the pulp (and glean its fiber). ..juicers remove the pulp, giving you more vitamins/minerals per ounce, but i've found it hard to "throw away" the pulp.
* a good friend of mine has a composting system that may be highlighted on a future IP post. ..the system allows her to recycle the pulp, which results in nutrient-rich soil that has turned her backyard garden into a self-sustaining environment for herbs/vegetables/fruits. ..she also demonstrated a juicing process (from the opening of the fridge to the cleaning of the juicer) that took her only 7 minutes & 35 seconds. ..yum!
** actually, a beet drink (strawberries, carrots, ginger, etc.) with carrot shavings on top is another colorful way to get well.
Posted by Wellness Education Institute at 7:53 AM