Monday, November 3, 2008

wild kingdom

no...
.
you simply can't make these stories up.
.
yesterday, as i was riding home from the beach after viewing whales, dolphins, stingrays, sea turtles, etc., this guy was stopped along the bike path, just by the main road. ..he waved for me to slow down.
.
he then pointed to a big, black snake (about 6 ft. long), and he said "lookie here, mate, that's a black snake, mate."
.
i had already heard that australian "black snakes" were deadly, so i responded: "is it poisonous?"
.
he said "it'll kill ya in under five minutes, mate."
.
at which point i was already getting off of my bike to snap the picture, below.

. as we are checking out this snake (which, to me, looked like a python), another guy pedaled up and said "whacha doin, mates?"
.
guy number 1 said "black snake."
.
guy number 2 said, "no, that's a carpet snake. they can't do nothin' but constrict ya."
.
.


guy number 1: "no, no, mate. that's a black snake." .


at which point the snake apparently had enough of us, and headed for the woods.
.
guy number 1, with renewed courage, grabbed the snake by the tail, and it wrapped itself around a tree. ..i'd later learn that guy #1 had, quote: "drunk a bottle of wine" before biking to the beach.
.
so........ he's got the snake in one hand, but the way that it's wrapped around the tree, the snake's face is facing me. ..so i hand guy #1 my camera, because i want to get down on the ground for a photo-op of my face-to-face encounter with the snake. ..meanwhile, guy #2 exits the scene... cars are passing by...
.
anyway, i get my face within (what seemed like) inches of the snake's face, and i'm thinking: "what am i thinking?"
.
anyway... there's so much commotion that guy #1 fails to snap the photo, and the snake unwraps itself from the tree. ..so i take the camera back and i snap a photo of guy #1, the snake-man wanna-bee (below) in what could serve as the jump-start of his new career!

i never did get his name.
.
he eventually let the snake go, and told me a few more (should i say, rather tall) tales. ..i said i had to leave, and biked myself out of there before the byron bay animal protection agency got news of this fiasco.
.
and, of course, back in the neighborhood, i almost ran over this wild turkey.
.


just another afternoon, in byron bay's wild kingdom.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing these stories with us city people, mate
    love britta

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure sounds like Weatherford texas to me! except guy #1 would have shot the snake.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably should have told you that one of the (other) downsides of byron bay is the extraordinarily high incidence of mental health issues. Keeps things interesting anyway.

    claude

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Britta, Donna, and Claudia!!
    .
    Byron Bay was one of the most fun & interesting places that I've visited in a long, long, time. In just a few (too few) days, I felt like I was at Home, at Peace, etc., even with the snakes.
    .
    If I'd stayed any longer, I would have applied for a massage therapy position.
    .
    They shoot those "cotton-mouth" snakes in Texas and Oklahoma (so true, so true).
    .
    Claude, should I post the "I met my ex-girlfriend's present boyfriend's ex-girlfriend" story?
    .
    Lenmon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Lenny!!!!! You sure know how to be in the right (?) place at the right time!!!! We have different kinds of snakes here in the desert and not all of them slither on the ground!!
    Rock on you world adventurer!!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete