Sunday, September 14, 2008

my hero

Note: This post is not Spiritually Scripted. You can expect to see conventional capitalization, punctuation, etc. The following will be presented as it was written by the author.

"My Hero" was written by Peter Cavalieri, in honor of his father, the late Frank Cavalieri:

____________________________
My Hero

My dad was not a carpenter, yet he took a hammer, a saw, scrap wood -- and turned a garage into a home.

My dad was not a plumber nor electrician, yet with old tools and duct tape, he managed to keep the water running and the lights working.

My dad was not a mechanic, but he did keep his cars running, and always fixed my bike.

My mom tells a story of my sister Irene and brother Dom: Irene had just received a giant pretzel. Somehow, the pretzel dropped and broke in half. Irene was crying and hurt. When Dom had seen what had happened, he turned wisely and said "Don't worry, Irene, daddy will fix it, daddy can fix anything."

That's how it was. My dad always found a way to fix or make things better. he never said "No," or "I don't know how," he just did it through love, a deep love.

I can't remember the last time I hugged or kissed my dad. I don't even think we ever said "I love you" to each other. It just never mattered. I always knew he loved me. he showed his love through hard work and devotion to his family.

many children today look up to sports heroes, making millions of dollars, as role models. they want to be just like them, rich and famous. I thank God that I had a father that I could look up to. He was my hero. I always wanted to be like my dad.

He taught me, through example, that it's not how much money you have, not the size of your house or car that matters. What's most important, is the size of your heart.

If you did not know my father well, you would have never seen the love inside. He covered it up with a tough, crude exterior, never wanting anyone to see his sensitivity. All he ever asked of his children was the respect that he deserved. If you gave it to him, he gave you everything he possibly could in return.

My father, like most people hi age, had a tough life. He overcame a depression, fought in a world war, and raised ten children, with only a sixth-grade education. What more could God ask of one man? He lived life simply, always giving and asking nothing in return. He has left behind so much love.

I think he lived life the way God intended it to be lived. I thank you God for choosing me to be his son. My brothers, sisters and I are truly the luckiest people on earth.

My dad will live on inside of me forever. I will never forget what he has taught me. I will try to live the rest of my life like him: honest, loyal, hardworking, proud, and loving. I owe this to my children, and I owe this to my father.

Thank you dad. I will miss you.

Peter (Cavalieri)

2 comments:

  1. Peter, you are a beautiful person! You were able to see deep within the soul of our father...and what you saw was love. It took me a long time to realize how much he loved us. I remember as a young girl, and the only girl in the family for a long time, that Daddy didn't like me much. The boys always got to go with him on the boat, which I thought was so much fun for you guys. When I asked to go, he always said, "You're a girl, stay home and help your mother." I have always hated housework. Still don't like it! But, now I understand that he was from a time when girls were girls and boys were boys and never the 'twain shall meet! In his own way, he thought he was doing the right thing for me...so that someday I would know how to be a good wife and mother...mission accomplished. He also gave me much more than that. He made me want to do more with my life. I had a strong yearning to explore the world. Dad made me want to show him that I could do things other than housework. When I wanted to go to college, he said: "You don't need to go to college, you'll have a husband to take care of you." When I wanted a driver's license, he said: "You don't need to drive, you have brothers who can drive you." This was a pretty constant theme in my life. Our Dad gave me something very valuable....the burning desire to get out on my own and show him that I could do things for myself. I wasn't just a girl who wanted a man to take care of her. I came to California at 22yrs. of age, and I got a job, and a driver's license, and got a college degree. I thank my Dad for making a rebel out of me! He helped me the most, by telling me what I couldn't do...and forcing me to get up and show him that I could. He was a man of great courage, and I think that was his legacy to his family. He affected all of us in different ways...ways we could never imagine when we were kids. Look at us now! He was a great Dad....he raised a great family....and we are all blessed to have the closeness and love of a family which will last forever.
    Your sister, Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Irene,

    I've got tears in my eyes, reading this.

    You are beautiful!

    Love,
    Lenny

    ReplyDelete